To call this year challenging is an understatement. So many lives lost… So much fear… Such a high price to pay for corruption… So much injustice…
November has never been my month. Both my mini-strokes have happened in this month. Too much stress has been the cause both times, but the reasons behind this stress are not clear: school, work, having to see family members I don’t like, or just my mind creating unpleasantness…
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th is generally recognized as a scary day, especially for people who believe in superstition. I’ve never really understood or believed in superstition, but I don’t mess with things I don’t understand, either.
I have decided that today is not going to be this scary day in my least favorite month in the worst year. I have the freedom to choose what today means, so I will give it the best reassignment I can think of:
Today is going to be a day of gratitude.
I’m grateful for all the challenges I have faced in this year. I’m grateful for being alive when so many aren’t anymore. I’m grateful for the strokes I’ve had in this month in the past years: Both times, I have had to make changes which were not easy to make at the time but that have ultimately been good for me in the long run. I’m grateful for it being Friday because I like my work schedule on Fridays. All I can think of to do with the number 13 is to list thirteen things I’m grateful for:
- I’m grateful for waking up this morning.
- I’m grateful for the sun, the light outside.
- I’m grateful for the bed I slept in.
- I’m grateful for the hot coffee I drank this cold morning.
- I’m grateful for my phone allowing me to check my messages.
- I’m grateful for the apps that allow me to listen to audiobooks.
- I’m grateful for the space I have to exercise.
- I’m grateful for my ability to move my limbs and stretch.
- I’m grateful for my ability to think and reason...and this reassignment.
- I’m grateful for my ability to write on Medium.
- I’m grateful for the steps I can take today toward my goal.
- I’m grateful for the food I ate… and will eat again later.
- I’m grateful for today and its infinite opportunities.
Happy Friday the 13th!